WHAT IS CERTIFICATION?
Certification is a multi-part process that all participants go through to demonstrate they are ready to move to the program’s next level.
The First Tee program is not a race to the finish line! The curriculum is intentionally designed for students to have multiple exposures at each level. It is expected that many students will not be old enough to advance after just one session. The First Tee of the Triangle intentionally includes practice certification days into our lesson plans in order to prepare your child for what they can expect. We encourage you to work with your participant outside of class time practicing these components so they are ready when the time comes to certify.
HOW CERTIFICATION WORKS
Students must meet ALL the following criteria before advancing to the next level.
- Minimum Age – Each student must meet the minimum age requirement.
- PLAYer – 7- Minimum age to start. Must be 9 years old to move to Par.
- Par – 9
- Birdie – 11
- Eagle – 13
- ACE – 14
- Written Assessments – Each student must pass two written tests – one life skills and one golf skills. The written tests will focus on information covered in class and in their Yardage Books. This includes: core values, life skills, golf etiquette and golf rules. Tests require a score of 80% or better to be considered passing. Should a child not reach a passing score on the first attempt, a second opportunity will be made available.
- Yardage Books – Each student should complete as much material in their yardage book as their class covers. Questions should be answered thoroughly and thoughtfully. Yardage books will be checked and then given back for future review/reference.
- Golf Skills Demonstration – Each student will be required to demonstrate minimum levels of proficiency in regards to their golf abilities (putting, chipping, and full swing).
- Coach Recommendation – Each student must receive a recommendation from their current level coach before advancing. If a student’s coach does not feel they are “ready” to advance, they will not be allowed to move on. Chapter staff will communicate directly with coaches to determine which students are able to advance.
- Volunteer Requirement (Birdie, Eagle, & Ace) – Volunteer hours are completed on a per calendar year basis and may be fulfilled at or away from The First Tee of the Triangle. Requirements are as follows: Birdie: 5 hours, Eagle: 10 hours, Ace: 15 hours.
- Advancement – Once a participant has met all of the above criteria they will be moved up to the next level. The participant will attend her/his new class at the beginning of the next season.
2018 Certification Dates: